John is challenging the Pharisees as he was demanding them for fruit in keeping with repentance. He is pointing out the mere religious life without right heart wouldn’t help them to experience the blessing of the covenant granted to Abraham and his seed;
- What could we observe the covenant God has granted to Abraham and his descendants? See also Gen 22:16-18 and said, “I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me.”
- What has their religion turn Abraham’s unconditional obedience into? See also Isa 29:13 The Lord says: “These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men.
- How has the Lord Jesus shown example of true Abraham’s seed through obedience rather than mere religious practice? See also Heb 5:7-8 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered
- What is the telling you about the fruit of your repentance as a descendant’s seed?
- How do you want to respond to His voice that you might be a channel of blessing of God to the people around?