Though the Jews traditionally trying to live out what the law required as it has been passed down to them from their Fathers, the Lord Jesus’ new teaching is about maintaining your heart right before God. For behavior is an overflow of what your heart like. That’s why the Lord is teaching us to be a good tree rather than trying to bear good fruit;
- What could we observe the way God focus when He sees a man? See also 1 Sam 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
- What could we observe the person God bless like a good tree that prospers? See also Jer 17:7-8 “But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”
- What should be a top priority in our life in view of the way God sees our heart? See also Pr 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.
- What is the Lord telling you about your own management of your own heart?
- What do you want to do in response to His voice to see your heart guarded?