The religion of those Scribes and Pharisees gave them a sound knowledge of the law yet could not experience the transformation of their heart to crave for recognition of the world rather than God. They ended up serving their own desires rather than God;
• What could we observe the impact of one’s craving for men’s recognition rather than God? See also Gal 1:10 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
• What could we observe a sense of security one could find in the Lord that he doesn’t need to seek after human recognition? Ps 16:5-6
LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.
• What does one need to go through that his longing might get transformed? See also Rom 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.
• What is the Lord Jesus saying to you about your own transformation?
• What do you want to do see yourself renewed and transformed in response to His voice?