The Lord Jesus went out to reach the man he has opened eyes after he has been thrown out from the synagogue by the Jewish leaders to help him to believe in Himself. When he said that he didn’t know who He was, the Lord told him about himself that he confessed his faith in Himself;
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus approached the blind men with? See also Mt 9:36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
• What could we observe Him doing with the man without having any spiritual conversation with him? See also Mt 10:7-8 As you go, preach this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven is near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus reached out to him afterward to help him believe in Himself? See also Mt 10:11-12 Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave. As you enter the home, give it your greeting. If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you.
• Who is God showing you that you should stick with that he/she might believe/grow in him?
• What do you want to do that you might help him to grow closer to the Lord?
People were divided on account of the Lord Jesus whether He came from God or not because of the miracles the Lord performed on the Sabbath. Even the parents of the healed man didn’t want to testify about what happened for the fear of those Jewish leaders’ threat to get expelled from the synagogue if they consider them acknowledging the Lord Jesus as the Savior;
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus convinced His followers to empower them for their witnessing impact? See also Jn 1:38-42
Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?” They said, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” “Come,” he replied, “and you will see.” So they went and saw where he was staying, and spent that day with him. It was about the tenth hour. Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus.
The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus
• What could we observe the healed man so courageous in the way he testified about the Lord Jesus in such a hostile atmosphere? See also 1 Jn 1:1-3 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched–this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.
• How does the Lord Jesus equip yourself for the ministry of testifying the grace of the Lord Jesus? See also Act 26:16-18 Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you. I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’
• What is the Lord Jesus saying to you about the way you’re getting equipped daily for the role He wants you to play for Himself?
• What would you like to do in response to His voice?
Though the disciples asked whose sin caused the blind man to be born blind, the Lord Jesus answered the God wanted to see His work manifested in him. With the mud He has pasted on his eyes, the Lord Jesus asked him to go to the pool of Siloam to wash. The blind man began seeing as He washed in the pool;
• What could we observe the heart of the Lord Jesus from the way He dealt with the blind man, unlike the disciples? See also Mt 9:36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus had the blind men involved in His healing miracle for him? See also Jn 14:21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”
• What could we learn about the man’s role from the way he had been sent without much happening on his body? See also Lk 17:14 When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed.
• What is the Lord saying of an area of your life that you need to act in obedience to His word?
• What do you want to do in that aspect in response to His word?
Everyone lives as a slave of sin or whatever that has enslaved himself. The Lord Jesus wants to set them free of whatever that has been their master in life. But the Son/Lord Jesus sets them free as they hold to His teaching/word. Read your journal over the week/John 8, and see ‘What the Lord has spoken to you over the week’ and ‘How you’ve responded to His voice’ as well;
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own attitude toward someone like the woman caught in the act of adultery?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your growth in your intimacy with the Lord?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own holding/abiding to His teaching?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own sacrifice as the leader of the people around?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own passion to hear Him daily?
• What is an application you still need to live out in life?
As the Lord Jesus challenges the wicked critical attitude of those Jewish leaders who determined to kill through any possible mean. The Lord exposes their pattern of the evil way of pursuing their evil intention through lying and false witness. Yet the Lord Jesus had been hearing what God has to say from the beginning;
• What could we observe the way the Lord heard the Father from the beginning of His word? See also Mk 1:37-38 and when they found him, they exclaimed: “Everyone is looking for you!” Jesus replied, “Let us go somewhere else–to the nearby villages–so I can preach there also. That is why I have come.”
• What could we observe the evil/lying pattern of those Jews to fulfill their intention? See also Act 6:13-14 They produced false witnesses, who testified, “This fellow never stops speaking against this holy place and against the law. For we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs Moses handed down to us.”
• What is the Lord Jesus saying about His followers’ life impacted by their intimacy with Himself? See also Col 3:12-13 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
• What is an area of your life that the Lord says you need to hear what He says?
• How do you want to respond to His voice?
Those Jews who have believed in the Lord Jesus came to a new life in a new relationship with God through the Lord Jesus. But they still have Jewish perspective on every aspect of life, for they have lived in such culture. The Lord is expecting them to hold to His teaching/word;
• What could we observe the way God expects His people to abide in? See also Lev 18:3-5 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the LORD your God. Keep my decrees and laws, for the man who obeys them, will live by them. I am the LORD.
• What could we observe they have been enslaved as Jewish people? See also Eph 2:2-3 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.
• What could we observe the freedom the Lord Jesus is promising to those who hold to His teaching? See also Mt 11:29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
• What is the Lord saying that you need to do that you might hold to His teaching?
• What do you want to do in response to His word?
The call for the Savior was not a call to lead political revelation as they anticipated, the path of the Savior has been prophesied as the path of suffering and death. For where there is no shedding of blood there’s no forgiveness of sin. The Lord Jesus stayed on that path in spite of their rejection;
• What could we observe the work of the Savior from the way it has been prophesied unlike the perception of the Jews? See also Isa 53:4-5 Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds, we are healed.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus owned the path of the call of God? See also Jn 3:14-15 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.
• What is the Lord Jesus expecting us to carry out this mission of love for the people around us? See also 1 Jn 3:16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.
• What is the Lord saying to you about your own suffering for the people you want to impact for the gospel?
• How do you want to respond to His voice that you might be a blessing to people around?
The Lord Jesus could persevere under tremendous pressure in the heat of debate as the Jewish chased after him. But the Lord Jesus’ intimacy with the Father empowered Him to withstand their accusation. Its good time to consider our own intimacy with the Lord Jesus and God;
• What could we observe God’s approval of the Lord Jesus from the beginning of His public life? See also Mt 3:16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him, I am well pleased.”
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus got empowered by the intimacy with God the Father? See also Jn 5:19-20 Jesus gave them this answer: “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, to your amazement he will show him even greater things than these.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus carried the work in God’s power? Jn 11:41-42 So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”
• What is the Lord saying to you about your own intimacy with Himself? See also Ps 27:4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
• How do you want to respond to His voice that you might get empowered by Him daily?
Although God has commanded to stone both of the adulterers, they dragged the woman who got caught in adultery and asked for the Lord Jesus’ feedback as they reminded Him that Moses commanded them to stone such people. The Lord Jesus suggested that whoever without sin throw a stone at her first;
• What could we observe the heart of the Lord Jesus from the way he dealt with those accusers of the woman? See also Jn 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
• What could we observe the way Jews were practicing/ keeping the law? See also Lev 20:10 If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife–with the wife of his neighbor–both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.
1. What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus ministered to the woman? See also Mt 7:3-5 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
• What is the Lord saying to you about your own attitude of keeping your own walk with the Lord? See also Mt 5:13-14 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
• How do you want to respond to His voice that you might maintain saltiness yourself?
Though the Jewish leaders grew hostile against the Lord Jesus, He went up to Jerusalem and taught at the temple. The high priest sent temple guard s to arrest Him, but they didn’t lay hands on him, for His time has not yet come. Read your journal over the week and see ‘What the Lord has spoken to you’ and ‘How you’ve responded to His voice’ as well;
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own attitude about the hostility of the people around?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own waiting on Him for His timing for various aspects in life?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your willingness to do His will even at the cost?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own testimony/sharing in the unwelcoming atmosphere?
• What is an application you still need to carry out in life?