The Lord Jesus knew all the way what has been happening with Lazarus and his sisters. And the Lord had an agenda to wake him up from sleep/death. Yet He felt how they felt about Lazarus’ death, and He wept with them! Though the Lord knew that Lazarus was going to come back to life, He still felt the grief with them;
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus felt the pain with them? See Rom 12:15-16 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus felt about the death of the people he loved? See also 1 Cor 15:55-57
Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?”
The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
* What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus dealt with those overwhelmed by the death and the grief? See also Heb 2:17-18, For this reason, he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
• What is the Lord Jesus saying to you about your attitude toward people who are going through suffering in life?
• How do you want to follow His example?
The Lord Jesus is asking Martha, who shows disappointment about His late arrival— four days after Lazarus’ death if she believes Himself as the resurrection and the life. For, the belief of individual in the Lord Jesus as the life and resurrection makes a difference. The Lord somehow saw Martha’s need to have her faith stretched at the scene of her brother’s death;
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus emphasized the importance of faith as a prerequisite of experiencing a miracle in life? See also Mk 9:23 It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.” ” ‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for him who believes.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus dealt with Mary without asking about her faith in Him? See also Lk 10:39-40 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
• What could we observe the impact of Mary’s faith to the way she sacrificed what’s important to her? See also Jn 12:3 Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
• What is the Lord saying to you about your faith in Him as the resurrection and the life?
• What do you want to do in response to His voice?
Though the Lord Jesus loved those people who were going through sickness and suffering, He stayed away from them while they were wondering about where about of Himself. He intended to help them to believe his divinity and His authority beyond life or death;
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus helped them to believe? See also Rom 14:9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus helps us through suffering & death? See also 2 Cor 12: 9-10 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
• What could we observe the way we get benefited through suffering & death? See also Ps 119:71 It was good for me to be afflicted so that I might learn your decrees.
• What is the Lord speaking to you about your attitude about suffering & death?
• What do you want to do in response to His voice?
Though the sisters of the dying man Lazarus informed the Lord Jesus that he was sick and wanted Him to come right away to Bethany to get him up, the Lord Jesus had different agenda. He stayed where He was for two more days and told the followers that Lazarus was fallen asleep/ died. Then He is planning for the trip to Judea to see Lazarus who was dead already.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus listens to the plea of the people He loves? See also 1 Cor 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus respond to the sickness of people He loves? See also Phil 1:20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.
• What could we observe the Lord Jesus’ teaching from the way He responded to their urgent plea for Lazarus’ sickness? See also Isa 30:18 Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!
• What is the Lord saying to you about an area of your life that you need to wait on the Lord’s help?
• What do you want to do in response to His different agenda from yours?
The Lord Jesus is identifying Himself as the shepherd, gate for the sheep, as well as the grantor of the eternal and abundant life. He is truly the good shepherd amid hired hands who cares for themselves rather than the sheep. Review your note over the week and see ‘What the Lord has spoken to you’ and also ‘How you’ve responded to His voice’;
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your listening & following the voice of the Lord/shepherd?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your zeal to go in and out the gate/Lord Jesus to find pasture?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about his completer knowing of yourself?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your enriched life through the good shepherd?
• What is an application you need to carry out in life in response to His voice?
The shepherd comes in to call the sheep out of the pen by name and goes on where the sheep might feed and drink. He goes on ahead of them and they follow him, for they knew each other well and had confidence in each other. The good shepherd willingly lays down His life for the sheep!
• What could we observe the intimacy between the sheep and the shepherd? See also Jn 10:27-28 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.
• What should the shepherd/a leader have done that the sheep/a follower could have total confidence in him? See also Heb 13:7 Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.
• What has Apostle Paul done that he might impact the church and the people in it? See also Col 1:24 Now I rejoice in what was suffered for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church.
• What is the Lord Jesus saying to you about your own life as a shepherd of His flock around?
• What would you like to do in response to His voice that you might grow as a good shepherd for Him?
The Jewish leaders pick stones to stone the Lord Jesus and they also want to arrest the Lord Jesus. The Lord Jesus went to a remote place beyond Jordan where John used to baptize people. Many people went out to Him there and believed in Him there.
• What could we observe the way people went to the Lord Jesus even to such a remote place beyond Jordan? See also Jn 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
• What could we observe the power of the Lord Jesus’s teaching from the way He could challenge people about their unbelief? See also Jn 8:46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me?
• What could we observe the way many people believed the Lord Jesus even they had hard time understanding His teaching? See also 1 Thess 1:5-6
because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake.
You became imitators of us and of the Lord; in spite of severe suffering, you welcomed the message with the joy given by the Holy Spirit.
• What is the Lord saying to you about your growth in your impact on the people around?
• What do you want to do that you might see your impact on the people grow?
The tension grew as the Lord points out the reason they could/would not believe Himself nor His word. The intimacy between the shepherd and the sheep would let the sheep hear the shepherd’s voice and follow His footstep, for they know their shepherd well;
• What could we observe the heart of God for His people to hear His word? See also Jer 22:29 O land, land, land, hear the word of the LORD!
• What makes the hearing of His word so important for those who belong to God these days? See also Ezek 33:7-9 “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me.
When I say to the wicked, ‘O wicked man, you will surely die,’ and you do not speak out to dissuade him from his ways, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood.
But if you do warn the wicked man to turn from his ways and he does not do so, he will die for his sin, but you will have saved yourself.
1. What is the Lord saying to us to do that the world around us gets ready to hear the word of God? See also 1 Thess 1:5 because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit, and with deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake.
• Who has God sent to your path that you might shine your light to let him/her know the Lord?
• What do you want to do that you may shine the light on the people around?
Though the Lord Jesus saw the threat as well as danger or His own life as He continues on the path of God’s call, He was willingly continued on His own accord. For, that the only secret to be loved by the God the Father, the commissioner;
• What could we observe the principle of God about true love for oneself? See also Jn 12:24-25 I tell you the truth unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.
• What could we observe the way God has loved the world? See also 1 Jn 4:9-10 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.
• What could we observe the way Apostle Paul carried out such love throughout his life? See also Act 20:24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me–the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.
• What is the Lord saying to you about your own willingness to lay down your life for Him/His kingdom?
• What do you want to do in response to His voice?
The Lord Jesus declares Himself as the gate for the sheep, unlike others who came before —thieves and robbers. But the sheep should enter through the Lord/the gate if he wants to get saved and find pasture—unlimited supply for life;
• What could we observe the exclusiveness of the Lord Jesus’ claim for the salvation of the sheep? See also Jn 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
• What could we observe the pasture one could find as he comes in and goes out of the gate/the Lord Jesus? See also Ps 23:1-2 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
• What is the promise the Lord Jesus in giving to those who come into His presence for the pasture in life? See also Jn 4:13-14 Jesus answered, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
• What is the Lord saying to you about your passion to ‘come in and go out’ through the gate/the Lord Jesus?
• What do you want to do to see your ‘coming in and going out get better in life?