God is telling Joshua, the new leader He has appointed over people who replaces the legendary leader, Moses, to get overwhelmed by the grace of God rather than the task before him. For he will be prosperous and successful not by doing his best, but by carrying out what has been written in the book of the law as he meditates on the book of the law day and night;
• What could we observe the way God asks Joshua to lead His people? See also 2 Cor 5:7 We live by faith, not by sight.
• What could we observe the principle of leadership as described for Joshua? See also Pr 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
• What is God’s way to have His people experience prosperity & success in their task pass down by the Lord? See also Jer 33:2-3 “This is what the LORD says, he who made the earth, the LORD who formed it and established it–the LORD is his name: ‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’
• What is the Lord saying to you about your walk with the Lord to overwhelm you and empower you for your role for His kingdom?
• How do you want to respond to His voice that you might be prosperous and successful?
Though Moses was an ordinary man who has lost youthful passion for the Lord, God picked hip up from shepherding the flock of his father-in-law to guide the Israelites as God Himself empowered him and blessed Him. God is enlisting Joshua with the promise to be with Him as He has been with Moses;
• What could we observe Moses’image of Himself when God called him for the Mission to lead the Israelites out of Egypt? Ex 3:11 But Moses said to God, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”
• And Moses said unto God, Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?
• What could we observe the way God impacted Moses through His presence with him? See also Deut 34:10-12 And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face, In all the signs and the wonders, which the LORD sent him to do in the land of Egypt to Pharaoh, and to all his servants, and to all his land, And in all that mighty hand, and in all the great terror which Moses shewed in the sight of all Israel.
• What could we observe the way God empowers man of His choice through His presence with him? See also Act 4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
• What is the Lord Jesus saying about His plan to be with you and empower you?
• How do you want to respond to His promise to be with you?
Though Moses, the servant of God, is dead, the Mission God gave the people of God a long time ago needs to be carried out. Joshua and the Israelites were to obey the command God gave Moses and Moses passed on to the Israelites. The God of the covenant will be with them just as He has been with Moses;
• What could we observe the covenant God gave to their father Abraham a long time ago? See also Gen 12:1-3 The LORD had said to Abram, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you. “I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse, and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”
• What could we observe the covenant God gave concerning the Land of Canaan? See also Gen 12:7 The LORD appeared to Abram and said, “To your offspring, I will give this land.” So he built an altar there to the LORD, who had appeared to him.
• What is God saying that they need do to inherit the land God is about to give them? See also Ps 1:1-3 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.
• What is God saying to you about your prosperity in the days to come?
• How do you want to respond to His voice that you might inherit the promised blessing/land?
Though John was there when the Lord Jesus dealt with Simon Peter to reinstate him to his role as an apostle for His kingdom, he wrote the account in detail to testify the word as well as the life of the Lord Jesus. John fulfilled the Lord Jesus’ call while Simon Peter followed the Lord Jesus until His prophecy got fulfilled in later days of his life;
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus appointed them as His apostles? See also Mk 3:14-15 He appointed twelve–designating them apostles–that they might be with him and that he might send them out to preach and to have authority to drive out demons.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus empowered them and reinstate them as apostles? See also Jn 20:27-29 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
• What are we supposed to continue in our walk with Him to carry out His call in our life for His kingdom? See also Gal 5:24-26 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
• What is the Lord saying to you about your role for the kingdom of the Lord?
• How do you want to respond to His call in the coming month?
The Lord Jesus must have a different plan for John than His plan for Simon Peter. But the Lord Jesus didn’t have it disclosed to Simon. He didn’t want Simon to consider His plan for anybody, but Him! The Lord Himself would deal with John about his life and the role he should play for Him;
• What could we observe the Lord Jesus’ interest in each individual? See also Jn 4:4, 7 Now he had to go through Samaria. When a Samaritan woman came to draw water, Jesus said to her, “Will you give me a drink?”
• What could we observe the Lord’s plan for each individual as they need to listen to Him? See also 1 Cor 7:7 I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.
• What is the Lord doing to His people in terms of their direction for life? See also Jn 10:27? My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
• What is the Lord Jesus saying to you about your passion for seeking his direction in life?
• How do you want to respond to His voice that you might follow His direction?
The Lord Jesus commanded Peter to follow Himself as he majors on feeding His sheep when he could not confess his wholehearted love/Agape. He even foretells Peter about his way to glorify the Lord through suffering and unwanted manner of death/martyrdom. How does want you to follow Him in such a time like this;
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus commissions in spite of Peter’s inability to offer total commitment/Agape to Himself? See also Mt 28:17-19 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
• What could we observe Peter’s need to keep himself strong to live up to the Lord Jesus’ call? See also 2 Tim 2:1-2 You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.
• What is the Lord Jesus committing Himself to empower & sustain Peter until the day of martyrdom?
• What is the Lord telling you about your mission to in the years to come? See also Mt 24:45-46 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns.
• How do you want to keep yourself empowered by the Lord that you might live up to His call for yourself?
The Lord Jesus of whom
Simon Peter confessed as the Christ, the Son of the living God, asked him if he
loves more than those around. Simon, who denied the Lord Jesus three times only
a few days ago, could answer the Lord that he loves— Phileo, not Agapao. For
the Lord Jesus asked him if he loves/ Agapao;
could we observe the heart of Simon Peter from the way he confessed Him of who He
was to himself? See also Mt 16:16 Simon Peter answered,
“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
could we observe the way God/Jesus expected from the people about their love
for Him? See also Lk 10:27 He answered: “‘ Love the Lord your God with
all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all
your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.'”
- What could we observe the heart of the Lord Jesus from
the way He changed the degree of Simon’s love from Agape— committed love in
verse 15 & 16, to Phileo, friendship, in verse 17? See also 1 Thess 5:14 And
we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the
weak, be patient with everyone.
- What is the Lord saying to you about your love for
- How do you want to respond to His voice that you might
love (Agape) Him?
Though the risen Lord Jesus appeared to the tired disciples who have gone to experience fish-less fishing overnight to help them for a miraculous catch, He has helped them acknowledge Himself through awesome work of helping not through a word. How He worked among them made such an impact that they didn’t have to ask Him of ‘Who He was’;
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus helped the people realize ‘Who He is/was’? See also Jn 6:14 After the people saw the miraculous sign that Jesus did, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.”
• What could we observe the way the Lord dealt with their spiritual needs by serving for their physical/ emotional needs first? See also Jn 13:14-15 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.
• What is the Lord speaking to you through this example impacting people through ministering for their physical need? See also 1 Thess 1:5 because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake.
• What is the Lord speaking to you about your caring for the physical/emotional need of the people around?
• How do you want to follow His example in the new year?
The Lord Jesus went out to where those disciples were on the edge of burn out after the fishing over night. They experienced a phenomenal fishing with the help of the Lord acknowledging their emptiness and obedience to the guiding voice of the Lord. They also got fed by the Lord on the shore.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus cared/dealt with those who returned to the fishing? See also 1 Thess 5:14 And we urge you, brothers, warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus fed their hunger without a word of their spiritual condition? See also Heb 4:15-16 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are–yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
• What could we observe the way the Lord helped them to learn of their own fruitlessness without empowering of the Lord? See also Jn 15:5-6 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
• What is an area of your life the Lord points out to your attention that you need to acknowledge His leadership?
• How do you want to respond to His voice?
Mary Magdalene was so passionate about the body of the Lord Jesus that she went to the tomb early in the morning and saw the stone at the entrance removed and the tomb was empty. Two disciples went out to the tomb to check it out because of Mary’s word but return home. Read your journal over the week and see ‘What the Lord has spoken to you over the week’ and ‘How you’ve responded to His voice, as well;
• What could we observe Mary’s heart from the way she went to the grave early?
• What could we observe the way risen Lord appeared to Mary, not to peter?
• What could we observe the heart of the Lord Jesus from the way He appeared to them one more time for Thomas?
• What could we observe the authority the Lord Jesus passed to His followers with the Holy Spirit?
• What is an application you need to carry out in life?