Joshua is addressing the leaders of those Israeli tribes who have witnessed God fighting for them all those years. He is asking them to be strong and be careful to remain strong that God would continue to drive out the Canaanites still living among them;
- What could we observe the secret to be and stay as strong as God’s people? See also Jos 1:8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
- What was it that they need to be careful about in life? See also Rom 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God–this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- What does it mean to be careful with you? See also Act 20:28 Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.
- What is the Lord pointing out to you that you need to watch over yourself in your life?
- How do you want to respond to His voice?