The Eastern tribes of the Israelites confessed before their fellow tribal leaders about their motive in building the altar their brothers were suspicious of rebellion against the God of Israel. They, in fact, said that their descendants should be discouraged from serving the Lord God of Israel along with the descendants of the Western tribes;
- What could we observe the commitment of the Israelites to the Lordship of God? See also Ex 19:5-6 Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”
- What must have learned of the impact of one man’s sin on the community Through Achan’s example? See also Josh 7:11-12
11 Israel has sinned; they have violated my covenant, which I commanded them to keep. They have taken some of the devoted things; they have stolen, they have lied, they have put them with their own possessions.
12 That is why the Israelites cannot stand against their enemies; they turn their backs and run because they have been made liable to destruction. I will not be with you anymore unless you destroy whatever among you is devoted to destruction.
- What could we observe the way they wanted to confirm the motive of the building of such an altar? See also Heb 3:13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.
- What is the Lord saying to you about your own testimony of commitment to the Lordship of the Lord Jesus in life these days?
- How do you want to share a testimony with the people around?