Joshua asked twelve men chosen from the twelve tribes to go back into the
Jordan find a stone to set as a memorial
to the people throughout generations that they may never forget what God has
done for them that they’ve crossed the Jordan on dry land;
- What could we observe
the significance of the Ark of the Lord of all the earth? See also Ex 15:8 By the
blast of your nostrils the waters piled up. The surging waters stood firm like
a wall; the deep waters congealed in the heart of the sea.
- What could we observe the way they experience such
power of the Lord? See also Rom 6:13 Do not offer the parts of
your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to
God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of
your body to him as instruments of righteousness.
- What is the Lord
saying of one way we could experience His mighty power in our life? See also Jn
is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will
they go among so many?” Jesus said, “Have the people sit
down.” There was plenty of grass in that place, and the men sat down,
about five thousand of them. Jesus then took the loaves, gave thanks, and
distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted. He did the same
with the fish.
- What is the Lord asking you to do to experience His
amazing thing this year?
- How do you want to respond to His voice?
God had planned to let the
Israelites cross the overflowing Jordan river and began concurring the promised
land for them. What did they suppose to do while God was performing miracles
for them? Read your journal over the
week/ Josh 3, and see ‘What the Lord has spoken to you’ and ‘How have you
responded to His voice’ as well;
- What has the Lord spoken to you about your attitude
toward the promise given by the Lord?
- What has the Lord spoken to you about amazing things
He would perform for you?
- What is an area of your life where God asked you to
- What is an area of your life, God is asking you to get
into the water/start obeying to His promise?
- What is an application you need to carry out in life that
you might experience His amazing thing in life?
The whole nation of over a
million people, along with their flocks, crossed the Jordan on the dry ground
while the water got cut off. The priests
stood firm in the middle of the river awaiting the people finished crossing.
God truly was the worker of the miracle against nature in the history of man;
could we observe the power of God from the way He performs the miracle for His
people? See also Ex 14:27-29 Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and
at daybreak, the sea went back to its place. The Egyptians were fleeing toward
it, and the LORD swept them into
the sea. The water flowed back and covered the chariots and horsemen–the
entire army of Pharaoh that had followed the Israelites into the sea. Not one
of them survived. But the Israelites went through the sea on dry ground,
with a wall of water on their right and on their left.
- What could we observe the way God asked His people to
get prepared for His miracle? See also Ex 14:13-14 Moses answered
the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance
the LORD will bring you today. The
Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only
to be still.”
is God saying to you about your experience of His fight for yourself? See also
Ps 68:19-20 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our
burdens. Selah Our God is a God who
saves; from the Sovereign LORD
comes escape from death.
- What is an area of your life, God says that He would
carry our burden?
- What do you want to do about it to see God at work?
Those priests got into the overflowing water of Jordan by faith just as Joshua has commanded. And the water got cut off completely that the children of Israel could cross the Jordan on dry ground right across against Jericho.
- What could we observe the power of the word of God? See also Heb 11:3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
- What could we observe the heart of those priests who walked into overflowing water? See also Num 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?
- What must have motivated those people followed the ark of the Lord into Jordan?
- What is an area of your life that God is asking you to obey by faith? See also Lk 1:37 For nothing is impossible with God.”
- How do you want to respond to His voice that you might experience the power of the word of God?
God is having the ark of the covenant of the Lord of all the earth go into the Jordan ahead of people carried by the priests. For those priests firmly believed that the Lord said through Joshua and the people break their camp to follow the ark of the Lord into the water of the Jordan;
- What could we observe the heart of those priest who carried the ark into the water of Jordan? See also Act 27:25 So keep up your courage, men, for I have faith in God that it will happen just as he told me.
- What could we observe the power of the word of the Lord from the way it happened to the river almost overflowing? See also Ex 15:8 By the blast of your nostrils the waters piled up. The surging waters stood firm like a wall; the deep waters congealed in the heart of the sea.
- What is God saying to us about an impact of His covenant/promise of the Lord in our life? See also 2 Cor 1:20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.
- What is the promise God is reminding you that you need to hang unto wholeheartedly?
- What do you want to do about it that you might experience the impact of the promise of the Lord?
Joshua told the people in the presence of uncertaintity at the back of the Jordan which was about to overflow with the water with the idea to cross over with more than a million people. He didn’t talk about ‘How’ to prepare to the people but to set themselves apart for the amazing things God was going to do among them!
What could we observe the way God is asking His people to reassure themselves? See also Josh 24:15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”
What does it mean to you to consecrate yourself as God’s people? See also Rom 12:1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God–this is your spiritual act of worship.
What could we the way God promises to respond to their consecration with? See also Rev 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.
What is the Lord saying to you about your consecration these days?
How do you want to respond to His voice that you might keep yourself consecrated?
God is commanding the Israelites who were in their camp to watch out the movement of the ark of the covenant of God. They were not supposed to figure out where to go and how to go about it for they have never been on that road. They were asked to move out from their position and follow it, if they see the ark of the Lord get carried out by the priests.
What could we observe the secret God is showing His people to experience His guidance and presence as they travel on the road they have never been on before? See also 2 Pet 1:3-4 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
What warning could we observe God is giving to His people against worldly impact on them?
What could we observe about the surety of the impact of the covenant/promise of God? See also 2 Cor 1:20 For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.
What is the Lord saying about your attitude toward the covenant/promise of God in your walk with the Lord? See also Josh 1:8 Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
How do you want to respond to His voice that you might experience His presence/guidance in life?
Though there couldn’t be many believers of Yaweh, the God of the Israelites, their enemies, those spies came across to Rahab, among all the citizens of Jericho. They didn’t have to persuade her to join of support their cause, for she had confessed first of her faith in their God herself. Read your journal over the week/ Josh 2, and see ‘What God has spoken to you over the week’ and ‘How you’ve responded to His voice’ as well;
- What has the Lord spoken to you about His guidance of His people in the process of their obedience to His will?
- What has the Lord spoken to you about God’s total acceptance of sinner/ immoral person’s past as he/she embraces God?
- What has the Lord spoken to you about His reward to those who puts his trust in HImself?
- What has the Lord spoken to you about an act to carry our one’s faith in God?
- What has the Lord spoken to you about your act of alliance with God & God’s people?
- What is a lesson you need to live out in life from this chapter?
Rahab has told a lie upfront to the soldiers of the king of Jericho about whereabout of those Hebrew spies and protected her enemies who were spying out the land. She is asking them to show kindness to her family in return to the kindness she has shown them at the risk of her own life;
- What could we observe her heart that pleased God in the presence of the danger of her life? See also Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
- What could we observe the way God has rewarded her act of faith? See also Heb 11:31 By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.
- What could we observe the secret of Rahab’s blessing from the way got rewarded for her choice of faith? See also Heb 4:2 For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith.
- What is the Lord saying to you about you act of faith he wants you to carry out these days?
- How do you want to respond to His voice that you might get reward from the Lord?
Those men who return home from spying the land at the command of Joshua reported to him that all the people are melting in fear because of themselves. They reported by faith though they have not met many people in the land;
What could we observe the heart of those two men from the way they reported to Joshua? See also 2 Cor 5:7 We live by faith, not by sight.
What could we observe the way God reward those who approaches to Himself? See also Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
What must have prepared those men to see the circumstance with an eye of faith? See also 2 Pet 1:3-4 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.
What is the Lord saying to you about your confidence in His promise?
How do you want to follow those men’s example in your walk with the Lord?