There is a unique bonding between the shepherd and the sheep. They belong to each other. The sheep listen to the shepherd as the shepherd calls them by name. The shepherd leads them out of the pen and goes before them, and they follow him, for they know each other, and they belong to each other!
• What could we observe the characteristics of the sheep? See also Jn 10:27-28 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.
• What could we observe the bonding between the shepherd and the sheep? See also 1 Sam 14:6-7 Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised fellows. Perhaps the LORD will act on our behalf. Nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few.” “Do all that you have in mind,” his armor-bearer said. “Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul.”
• What could we observe the characteristics of the shepherd? See also Heb 13:7 Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.
• What is the Lors saying to you about your attitude toward the leader/shepherd he has set before you?
• What do you want to di in response to His voice?
The Lord Jesus saw a man who has been born blind with compassion toward him who has lived as a beggar. The Lord sent him to the pool of Siloam with the mud on his eyes tho show the work of God in his life. Read your journal over the week and see ‘What the Lord has spoken to you’ and ‘How you’ve responded to him’ as well;
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own heart of compassion and mercy to people who suffer hopelessness around?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about the way you reach out to them with compassion?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your sharing of the Lord as the people get wormed up through good work?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your willingness to pay the price to see the heart gets warmed for the gospel?
• What is one thing you want to do with someone to see him/her get closer to the Lord & yourself?
The man who had been born blind didn’t go to the Lord Jesus himself nor was brought to Him by someone else. Everyone must have thought that its impossible to see anything happen to his eyes. But the Lord Jesus saw him and engaged Himself to see the work of God displayed in his life!
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus took pity on the blind bagger while his followers ask the question out of curiosity? Ps 103 15 As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.
• What attitude could we observe from the way the Lord Jesus dealt with the blind man? See also Jn 11: 4 When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus surrendered Himself to God that the work of God might be displayed in his life? See also Gal 6:9-10 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have an opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
• What is the Lord Jesus saying to you about your own attitude of doing good work to the people you see around?
• How do you want to surrender yourself that the work of God might be displayed in your friend’s life?
Those Jewish leaders could not perceive
spiritual blindness the Lord Jesus was talking about. The awesome work of
miracle the Jesus has done for the man born blind was not visible to them for
the blindness or narrowmindedness centered around their own perspective of God,
His work and truth. Are we eager to see His glory;
- What could we observe the way God assures true life and blessing to those with spiritual hunger? See also Ps 107:9 Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.
- What could we observe the teaching of the
Lord Jesus about the blessing of those who are spiritually poor? Ps 119:34-35 each
me, O LORD, to follow your decrees; then I will keep them to the end. Give me
understanding, and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart.
- What could we observe the way king David’s experience of God’s reward to his passion for intimacy with God in life? Ps 23:4-5 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
- What is the Lord telling you about your own spiritual
- How do you want to respond to His voice?
The Lord Jesus went out to reach the man he has opened eyes after he has been thrown out from the synagogue by the Jewish leaders to help him to believe in Himself. When he said that he didn’t know who He was, the Lord told him about himself that he confessed his faith in Himself;
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus approached the blind men with? See also Mt 9:36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
• What could we observe Him doing with the man without having any spiritual conversation with him? See also Mt 10:7-8 As you go, preach this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven is near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus reached out to him afterward to help him believe in Himself? See also Mt 10:11-12 Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave. As you enter the home, give it your greeting. If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you.
• Who is God showing you that you should stick with that he/she might believe/grow in him?
• What do you want to do that you might help him to grow closer to the Lord?
People were divided on account of the Lord Jesus whether He came from God or not because of the miracles the Lord performed on the Sabbath. Even the parents of the healed man didn’t want to testify about what happened for the fear of those Jewish leaders’ threat to get expelled from the synagogue if they consider them acknowledging the Lord Jesus as the Savior;
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus convinced His followers to empower them for their witnessing impact? See also Jn 1:38-42
Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?” They said, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” “Come,” he replied, “and you will see.” So they went and saw where he was staying, and spent that day with him. It was about the tenth hour. Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus.
The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ). And he brought him to Jesus
• What could we observe the healed man so courageous in the way he testified about the Lord Jesus in such a hostile atmosphere? See also 1 Jn 1:1-3 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at and our hands have touched–this we proclaim concerning the Word of life. The life appeared; we have seen it and testify to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and has appeared to us. We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.
• How does the Lord Jesus equip yourself for the ministry of testifying the grace of the Lord Jesus? See also Act 26:16-18 Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you. I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’
• What is the Lord Jesus saying to you about the way you’re getting equipped daily for the role He wants you to play for Himself?
• What would you like to do in response to His voice?
Though the disciples asked whose sin caused the blind man to be born blind, the Lord Jesus answered the God wanted to see His work manifested in him. With the mud He has pasted on his eyes, the Lord Jesus asked him to go to the pool of Siloam to wash. The blind man began seeing as He washed in the pool;
• What could we observe the heart of the Lord Jesus from the way He dealt with the blind man, unlike the disciples? See also Mt 9:36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
• What could we observe the way the Lord Jesus had the blind men involved in His healing miracle for him? See also Jn 14:21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him.”
• What could we learn about the man’s role from the way he had been sent without much happening on his body? See also Lk 17:14 When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed.
• What is the Lord saying of an area of your life that you need to act in obedience to His word?
• What do you want to do in that aspect in response to His word?
Everyone lives as a slave of sin or whatever that has enslaved himself. The Lord Jesus wants to set them free of whatever that has been their master in life. But the Son/Lord Jesus sets them free as they hold to His teaching/word. Read your journal over the week/John 8, and see ‘What the Lord has spoken to you over the week’ and ‘How you’ve responded to His voice’ as well;
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own attitude toward someone like the woman caught in the act of adultery?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your growth in your intimacy with the Lord?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own holding/abiding to His teaching?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own sacrifice as the leader of the people around?
• What has the Lord spoken to you about your own passion to hear Him daily?
• What is an application you still need to live out in life?
As the Lord Jesus challenges the wicked critical attitude of those Jewish leaders who determined to kill through any possible mean. The Lord exposes their pattern of the evil way of pursuing their evil intention through lying and false witness. Yet the Lord Jesus had been hearing what God has to say from the beginning;
• What could we observe the way the Lord heard the Father from the beginning of His word? See also Mk 1:37-38 and when they found him, they exclaimed: “Everyone is looking for you!” Jesus replied, “Let us go somewhere else–to the nearby villages–so I can preach there also. That is why I have come.”
• What could we observe the evil/lying pattern of those Jews to fulfill their intention? See also Act 6:13-14 They produced false witnesses, who testified, “This fellow never stops speaking against this holy place and against the law. For we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs Moses handed down to us.”
• What is the Lord Jesus saying about His followers’ life impacted by their intimacy with Himself? See also Col 3:12-13 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
• What is an area of your life that the Lord says you need to hear what He says?
• How do you want to respond to His voice?
Those Jews who have believed in the Lord Jesus came to a new life in a new relationship with God through the Lord Jesus. But they still have Jewish perspective on every aspect of life, for they have lived in such culture. The Lord is expecting them to hold to His teaching/word;
• What could we observe the way God expects His people to abide in? See also Lev 18:3-5 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the LORD your God. Keep my decrees and laws, for the man who obeys them, will live by them. I am the LORD.
• What could we observe they have been enslaved as Jewish people? See also Eph 2:2-3 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.
• What could we observe the freedom the Lord Jesus is promising to those who hold to His teaching? See also Mt 11:29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
• What is the Lord saying that you need to do that you might hold to His teaching?
• What do you want to do in response to His word?